A bank journal is a record of banking transactions, ordered by date. Bank Journals come in two types:
- Bank Debit Journals: These increase the balance of a bank account.
- Bank Credit Journals: These decrease the balance of a bank account.
Bank Journals can be created from three places:
- Bank Actions: Go to Bank > Bank List. Under Actions, select Debit Journal or Credit Journal.
- Bank Reconciliation: Go to Bank > Bank List. Under Actions, select Create New Reconciliation. In the Bank Statement screen, go to Create Transactions, and select Bank Credit Journal or Bank Debit Journal.
- Blue Bar: Go to Bank. Select Bank Credit Journal or Bank Debit Journal.
Posting Bank Credit, and Debit Journals
1. To create a Bank Credit or Bank Debit Journal, in the journal screen enter the following:
- Bank: Select the bank account from the list.
- Exch Rate: If you select a foreign currency bank account, the latest exchange rate will be displayed. Update as required.
- Journal Date: Defaults to today's date. Update as required.
- External Reference: Enter a journal reference.
- GL Account Code: Select the GL Account Code from the list.
- BI Code: If required, select a BI Code.
- Description: Enter a description for the journal.
Amount: Enter the journal amount in supplier currency.
2. Click Process to post the journal.
Clicking Close will close the screen without posting any transaction.